Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patricks Day!

We woke up this morning to a cold house. {I forgot to turn the thermostat back on} The problem was quickly solved.
Being St. Patty's day and all, we had GREEN scrambled eggs for breakfast. At first no one wanted to eat... they looked like play dough, just sayin'. After some cheese was added, and the explanation that it was just food coloring the taste was still like YELLOW scrambled eggs, they all dug in. {wish I had taken some pictures}
Our day ended with some AMAZING Reuben style baked potatoes. HEAVEN! And of course, ANYTHING else that my mother had in her kitchen that was green. Kiwis, Cole slaw, avocado, AND GREEN rolls that I made. {I stayed up a little too late making them, but it was worth it}


Home-made Bread Rolls
{made green for the holiday}


5 3/4 - 6 3/4 c. flour {I use whole wheat & white}
1/4 Sugar
2 t. Salt
2 T. Active dry yeast {or 2 packets}
1 c. Milk
1 c. Water
1/2 c. Butter
1 Egg

{FIRST}
add 3 cups of flour and ALL the dry ingredients to mixer

{SECOND}
Milk, water, and butter heat together, until butter melts {I use the microwave}
add food coloring, if you want them green. Make sure its HOT, but not too hot to stick your finger in, but HOT.


{THIRD}
Start mixer, then add the HOT liquid to mixer. Add egg, and the remaining flour a bit at a time.
{ I like to put the LEAST amount of flour possible, the rolls are fluffier}



Mix until dough is just barely sticking to edge of bowl.

{FOURTH}
Scrape the sides of the bowl, make a ball put a little vegetable oil on top of dough.
Cover bowl with Saran wrap, and let it rise undisturbed for 60 minutes. {again, I use the microwave, NOT turned on, of course, haha.}


{LAST, but NOT least}
Form dough to your liking. I did balls this time, usually crescents are my style of choice.
Crescents: Roll 1/2 of dough into a circle, cut into "pizza" slices {12} then roll from big side in.

{BAKE}
*350 for 15+ minutes, depending on shape of rolls.


I had to post this picture again...
My daughter was too cute, every time I took a picture she asked if I was done so she could EAT them ALL.

We have some FUN adventures planned for our spring break! I can't wait. We ACTUALLY get a spring break this year!! Luck of the draw, I guess.
Well, thank you for being understanding in the LACK of posts.  I've been sick, really down for the count. {but that's for another post.} I have been working on some PROJECTS and hope to have them up here soon!

For now, ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment